Monday, June 15

Myssi's Movie Mondays


I expected to be a bit productive this weekend and not spend so much time in front of the TV. I had decided that if I was going to spend my time in front of the TV, I was going to watch shows/movies on the DVR or Netflix DVDs. Well I did and I didn’t.

I spent most of yesterday watching TCM. It started with “His Girl Friday,” my favorite movie. Rosalind Russell plays a reporter who is about to quit her job because she’s going to leave the business to marry an insurance salesman. Her editor, played by Cary Grant, doesn’t want her to leave because he loves her. So he happens to mention the hot story for the evening because he knows she won’t be able to resist. She can’t, breaks things off with her fiancĂ© and ends up with Cary Grant, covering a strike during their honeymoon.

After it was over, I thought about doing some laundry, but I made myself more comfortable on the couch and watched “Ball of Fire.” The channel guide summary made it sound boring, but I thought I’d give it a chance anyway. It turned out to be a nice movie. I didn’t buy Gary Cooper as an English professor, but I do have a soft spot for guys who know their English. OK, so Gary Cooper and seven other professors/doctors are writing an encyclopedia. GC is in charge of the entry on slang and decides to do field research. He meets with Barbara Stanwyck who plays a nightclub singer. She teaches him about slang and he teaches her about falling in love with an egghead.

The opposite of that couple followed with “To Have and Have Not,” Bogey and Bacall’s first film together. I don’t understand the politics going on in the background, but I still enjoyed the movie. It’s a love story; everyone can relate to that.

Some Like it Hot,” another of my favorite movies, was also on TCM. Men in drag. How can it not be hilarious? Plus Jack Lemmon was a great actor. He looks like he’s having fun even though he’s in high heels and a girdle.

Despite spending about eight hours on TCM, I did manage to squeeze in some DVR time. I saw a very strange movie, “House” or “Hausu.” It’s a very strange movie; it’s supposed to be scary, but it’s also funny. It reminded me of the “It's a Good Life” episode of the “Twilight Zone” movie—the one where the little boy has powers to get and do whatever he wants—because it’s a bit cartoonish in the way it’s shot.

Not so funny was “Raising Arizona.” It seems that every list of top movies raves about this movie, but I didn’t think it was that great. It was entertaining, but after watching a few Coen brothers movies, it was pretty easy to predict what was going to happen. John Goodman is bad news, the lone scary guy is really really bad news and bad stuff happens to the main character no matter how much he tries to redeem himself.

I only now realized that three of the movies that I watched this weekend are on Hulu. So much for DVR progress.

2 comments:

Jen said...

But Raising Arizona has one of my favorite conversations:

Glen: Say that reminds me, how'd you get that kid so darn fast? Me and Dot went in to adopt on account a' somethin' went wrong with my semen, and they said we had to wait five years for a healthy white baby. I said, "Healthy white baby? Five years? What else you got?" Said they got two Koreans and a negra born with his heart on the outside. It's a crazy world.

H.I.: Someone oughta sell tickets.

Glen: Sure, I'd buy one.

myssi said...

You're not well.