Monday, August 31

Movie Monday

My name is Myssi and I am a dork.

Renaissance festivals. Star Wars. Star Trek. Nascar. Dallas Cowboys. These are some things which adults get crazy about. They get so crazy into some of these things that they drag their poor innocent children into their obsession.

I promised myself years ago I would not drag my son into any of my crazy obsessions. Dan’l has not dressed up as any Star Trek characters and I have not forced him to watch Trek marathons. Turns out I didn’t have to because my son seems to enjoy a lot of the same things I enjoy (especially Popeyes).

So it was with a bit of hesitation that I suggested we rent “My Name is Bruce” starring, directed by, produced by, narrated by, scored by and distributed by Bruce Campbell. I wasn’t sure if this would be too much Bruce for Dan’l to handle. He’s too young to be a die-hard fan of anything for more than two days.

Turns out, Dan’l was ready to dabble in major dorkdom. He liked the movie and we even saw almost two hours worth of DVD extras.

Dan’l became a fan of BC when we started watching “Burn Notice.” I only started watching “Burn Notice” because of BC. Dan’l wanted to watch it because he thought the show looked cool and lots of stuff blew up. But somehow Dan’l became aware of BC’s awesomeness and started noticing BC in movies and online.

Now I can tell all of my friends with young children, it’s OK to share with your child, but don’t push it too much. Eventually, we all become our parents. I hated Tejano music because my parents played it all the time when I was growing up and now I sing along to Selena.

I’m so proud.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Well, to be fair, I had no idea Tejano existed until Selena's movie and now I sing along. Selena is addictive.

myssi said...

Now I know what to get you for Christmas!

meghant said...

i might be in love with your son.

myssi said...

Maybe when he's older...

paprgl said...

ewwww.....