Monday, March 31

Movie Mondays

Whoa. It's been a while since I posted on movie Mondays. Rather than mention every movie I saw, I'll only mention the ones I can remember. Obviously, the ones I can't remember aren't worth mentioning.

The one that I clearly remember watching is "Bunny Lake is Missing." (I probably have an easy time remembering this because jensational said it sounded like it should be remade and guess what, it's set for a remake.) Bunny Lake and her mom moved from America to England to be with the mom's brother. Mom takes Bunny to daycare and leaves her in the first day room. She can't find who is in charge and tells the cook about her daughter. Mom is running late to meet the movers and needs to leave. When Mom goes to pick up Bunny, she finds out that Bunny never made it to class and they call the police. Sir Laurence Olivier plays the part of the inspector who starts to wonder if Bunny exists and whether or not Mom is all there.

It's a pretty good movie. I thought I knew what was going on and started to wonder whether it was all in Mom's head. I recommend you watch this with someone who doesn't like to chat while the movie is on.

Last night I saw "Rebound." It was one that Dan'l picked and even though I usually cringe at the thought of watching one of those pro players coaches kids losing team and gets the hot mom (oops, did I spoil the ending?), this movie wasn't so bad. There were a few funny parts here and there and the movie moves fairly quickly. I didn't have to sit through the losing team losing five games before the coach started caring.

Watch with kiddos.

During spring break, I saw "Walk the Line." I had no idea it was such a long movie. It's a love story. Everyone knows how it ends.

Watch on a TV with good audio.

I also saw "Joan Crawford: The Ultimate Movie Star." Unlike "Mommie Dearest," this documentary doesn't present Joan like the camp character she became. She started her career as a dancer. She was the ultimate flapper who enjoyed dancing the Charleston and acted in some very memorable movies. "The Women" and "Grand Hotel" are some of my favorites, but this movie pointed out some other Joan movies that I might want to watch. Heck, I even want to see her bad movies. And who doesn't like acting out scenes from "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?"

I liked this documentary, but mostly because I'm a big fan of Joan Crawford.

I'm not sure if this counts as movie that I saw (because I FF through about 90 minutes of this movie), but I saw "Fanny and Alexander." I think I was distracted by one of the actors who resembled my pastor. That actor has an affair early on in the movie and I couldn't watch any more.

While I'm not eager to put this movie on the top of my movie queue, if it's on TV, I might watch it.

The only other movie that I remember watching is "Picnic at Hanging Rock." Four girls and a teacher disappear after climbing a big rock in Australia on Valentine's Day 1900. It was Australia's first big international hit. I didn't not like this movie, but I don't think I'd watch it again. It was OK but there are parts that want to make it seem like the girls are in a trance and it just seems forced. Especially since the movie doesn't tell you what happened to them or why three seemed to be in trances, but the fourth was not affected, yet she still went missing.

Watch if there's nothing else to watch on cable.

No comments: