Wednesday, May 14

Quinceañera, not the movie

My cousin and his wife celebrated their daughter's 15th birthday with a quinceañera last Saturday. I'm not very close to my extended family, so I was really excited when I received my invitation. If all my cousins (on my mom's side) showed up with their spouses or girlfriend or boyfriend and kids, we'd easily pack a hall.

But I was mostly excited because neither Richard nor Dan'l had attended a quinceañera. Being that it was my family, I figured it would not be exciting--kegs, people smoking in the hall in front of children, live band, grandmas and old aunts dancing and drinking, fights with my sister. I thought this would be a real treat because R's family is so quiet and only the daughters-in-law drink. His small and quiet family were a shock to me when I met them. I wanted to return the favor.

Turns out, my sister did not pick any fights, not even with me. Only six cousins were present, including the dad of the birthday girl. My widowed aunt was pretty depressed and was drinking, but she was still on good behavior when we left. There were no kegs. My brother-in-law was the only one drinking at our table. My parents didn't dance and my grandparents stayed home. My sleazy uncle (through marriage, natch) danced with one of my cousins, but she's a bit skanky, so it wasn't a big deal. Overall, it was not what I was expecting.

There were a few surprises. I didn't expect the damas' dresses to be neon green. I didn't expect my sister to be MC. I didn't expect my parents to sit out the dance. I also didn't expect the birthday girl to be so annoyed with me (then again I was taking a bunch of pictures of her).

So here are the highlights:


My cousin's daughter, before they gave her the tiara. I didn't crop the picture because I wanted you to get the full hall effect. Oh yeah, most girls wear pink dresses, but I guess white goes better with green.

In my dama career, I wore a green dress, two blue dresses and a bright pink dress, but never anything in neon. (I don't know this girl or if we're related, sorry.)

Before the quinceañera is presented, the court is presented and they dance a waltz as the girl of honor makes her way to the floor. My favorite part was the damas' clear flashing heels.

My aunt's sister made the cake with the doll in it. I didn't have any doll cake, but the other cake was pretty good.

And here are my cousins Mandy, Patsy, Prissy (his name is Prisciliano), Sandra (yes, Sandy), me and my sister (doesn't she look more than three years older then me?).

2 comments:

Jen said...

So there was at least ONE ballgown. Whew. Those green dresses are very . . . bright. wow. I didn't know they made fabric in that color for anything other than crossing guard uniforms. But it looks like a fun night.

My cousins used to have those doll cakes at every birthday party.

paprgl said...

I wonder how big the wedding will be .... How do you top the 15th b-day?