Friday, October 30

Haunted Downtown Trolley Tour


Dan'l and the llorona.


Dan'l and the chupacabra.


Dan'l is my partner in crime. The bus driver? Not so much.

Dan'l and I had the opportunity to go on a tour of haunted places around downtown Laredo. (Richard is a scaredy cat.) The tour is organized by the same people who put together the "Santo" movies.

I was really looking forward to it because the only other haunted tour (of bars in Austin) was a lot of fun. We met at a bar, had a few beers, went on the walking tour and by the time we got to the part where the guide points to the Driskill Hotel, I became the cowardly lion and started saying in my head, "I do believe in ghosts. I do believe in ghosts. I do. I do. I do. I do. I do. I do believe in ghosts."

Downtown Laredo is very scary at night. It's really dark and the smell of sulfur cuts through the air. Years and years and years ago, a friend and I saw a late showing of "Candyman" at a cinema downtown and we practically ran to my car. The movie combined with a cold and dark downtown (and the hookers in the shadows) made me wish I had stayed at home.

So I'm sad to say I was a little disappointed at yesterday's tour. The stories were scary, but when I took a look at the buildings from the comfort of the bus/trolley, well, I felt very safe. I think if they had let us get off the bus and come face to face with the buildings, that might have been scarier. Oh well. Until next year.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Plus, everyone knows that's not what the chupacabra looks like . ..