Monday, April 12

Myssi's Movie Monday



Frozen River” is a movie I really wanted to hate. Years ago I had the idea of writing about a female smuggler who got away with it because she didn’t fit the typical smuggling profile. Plus my dad knows a guy who was in prison for smuggling so I had heard lots of stories. Except that I’m lazy and never wrote anything.

Unfortunately, I liked the film. It’s about a mom whose husband steals the balloon payment for the doublewide and she’s working a part-time job without any prospects for a full-time position. She’s desperate and she and her two sons are hungry and nearly homeless.

She meets a smuggler (who stole her husband’s car) and after shooting her gun at the smuggler’s tiny trailer, they team up and start smuggling. The smuggler has the connections and the mom has the car with the pop-open trunk.

Their relationship is a bit like Walt and Jesse’s on “Breaking Bad,” but it seems that they bonded rather quickly. When they finally catch up to them, the mom asks the smuggler to take care of her kids.

It’s not a fancy shoot-‘em-up film. There aren’t sex scenes. It’s just a couple of women trying to provide for their families and that is something I can relate to, even if my desperate moments only consist of crying to my parents.

1 comment:

Jen said...

That sounds good. I might have to add that to my super long list of movies I want to see.