Friday, March 12

It's like so mid '90s

A little more than 15 years ago, I moved to Austin, Texas. I was a big city girl living in a small town and Austin was as far as I could afford to escape. A lot of classes later, a husband, a son and a laughable career later, I moved back to Laredo, Texas, thinking we’d be there two years at the most. Five years later, we’re still there. But today I’m here.

After years of avoiding Austin during spring break, I am back. I’m here because of work and I feel like a tourist. Not only are the regular hipsters here, there are other hipsters from all over the world.

Fortunately, I drove here so I was able to get dinner without having to go to the usual tourist places. I needed to get that hometown feel after battling downtown traffic. I felt a bit overwhelmed and lost downtown when I went to register. I think it was because I used to point and laugh at the people who would drive the wrong way on one way streets.

I walked around the convention center earlier today to get to know it. I remember feeling like a loser my first week at UT because I walked around and around and around and couldn’t find the building I was looking for. I finally asked a girl who was walking by and she looked at me with disgust and pointed to the building across the street from us. Now I want to be able to look at people with disgust and point across the street.

2 comments:

meghant said...

I live here and I feel like a tourist. I never need to go downtown anymore, so when I do go - I'm surprised by all the building and people. Ugh. At least Vinny's is still there.

myssi said...

Vinny's will always have a place in my heart. you too. and rich.